This doTERRA MLM Review should guide any aspiring or seasoned marketer to form a decision whether to immediately engage in the use and distribution of the essential oils doTERRA produces or shelf the whole idea as a scam.
doTERRA, Product Overview
doTERRA is a multi-level marketing (MLM) company in the field of essential oils with its headquarters in Pleasant Grove, Utah, United States of America. The company’s product line consists of more than 100 essential oils, skincare products, weight control and supplements. It has been in operation since 2008.
David Stirling is the founder of doTERRA. With the company’s composition of about 1300 employees and more than three million independent distributors, the company generates more than $1 billion a year from worldwide sales.
doTERRA has been recognized for its excellent performance with numerous awards in the industry, including Business of the Year 2013 from the mayor of Pleasant Grove, Utah.
Some of his popular products include doTERRA Deep Blue Rub, doTERRA On Guard and the company’s essential oil diffuser line.
The Good and the Bad About doTERRA MLM
The Good About doTERRA MLM
- High customer retention – the company’s website says that the average customer retention in the industry is 10-15% and its overall satisfaction is exceptional. The company has a 79% to 85% retention rate in its network of customers and independent distributors.
- Membership options are flexible in that people can join as a wholesale member or health advocate. Wholesale membership gives access to wholesale prices by 25% to 55% lower than retail prices.
- Under the healing hand foundation, the company is in charitable activities through the Healing Hands Foundation. The organization maintains that its mission is to bring hope and healing to the world so that lives are free from poverty and disease. It also aims to help poor countries become more self-reliant. Contributions are collected from clients, employees and Wellness Advocates to support the foundation in its global efforts.
- Certified pure therapeutic products are guaranteed since they created their own testing process called Certified Clean Therapeutic Class (CPTG). This testing process ensures that doTERRA oils are of the highest quality and purest. To comply with these standards, products should not contain added fillers, harmful impurities and synthetic ingredients.
- The cost of starting a business and annual updating is very low for a multi-level marketing company. The company also offers an excellent training program and many business tools for its Wellness Advocates.
- Assured training and support
- There are benefits of high compensation in that all health care lawyers receive 25% of their retail sales. They also get bonuses for attracting new distributors. There are no minimum requirements for a minimum order for a month; however, at least 100 personal bindings are required to receive a commission.
The Bad About doTERRA MLM
- The company was investigated in 2014 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the presence of drugs that were allegedly distributed by doTERRA distributors on their websites and social networks. The allegations claimed included treating Ebola, treating cancer, and treating neurological and cardiovascular diseases, among other claims of treatment. Promotion and marketing of products without FDA approval as preventative or curative measures for medical conditions violates the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.In 2014, the FDA issued a warning letter to doTERRA and took the corrective actions that the essential oil company should take regarding this issue. DoTERRA issued a statement of compliance with the US Food and Drug Administration.
- Regarding the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade doTERRA trademark, the concern is that it seems that certification is an objective measure of the company itself and does not have real industry advantages. This is a set of criteria that they measure, but it is a little misleading in its submissions to the public. However, although the term is a trademark of the company itself, further investigation reveals that this process is actually confirmed by third-party laboratories.
- According to DoTERRA’s 2018 earnings report, 62% of distributors are entry-level, while 53% receive an average compensation of $380 per year. This means that 9% of Wellness Advocates have not received any compensation. Although these are better chances than many multi-level marketing companies, entry-level participants should understand that in some cases they will not be able to return their investments within a year; the income statement indicates income, not profit.
- In 2017, a lawsuit covering the years between Young Living and doTERRA was settled, and Young Living was created to recover damages for fraud. Although this does not negatively affect doTERRA, counterclaims in the case may affect the public opinion of these companies. Young Living and doTERRA sued each other for creating oils with synthetic, additive compounds. Dr Robert Pappas was asked to testify and claim that he had found synthetic compounds in Young Living oils and stated that Young Living v. doTERRA was suspicious. Both sides discarded this part of the case. It may happen that doTERRA oils do not contain synthetic compounds, or this case and its ambiguous resolution may indicate otherwise. Potential distributors should be aware of this conflict.
Who is doTERRA MLM For?
doTERRA is a legitimate business and wellness opportunity for people interested in the beneficial use of essential oils. The company adheres to rigorous scientific testing, and its products are certified for the absence of contaminants and artificial ingredients.
Becoming a doTERRA consultant may be right for you, but we also recommend exploring this opportunity and comparing it with other MLM essential oils companies to make sure you find your best match.
doTERRA Tools and Training
The company provides much training, mentoring and team incentives for its wellness attorneys. New distributors start training with a six-week online course to tell them about the company and its products.
At the end of each module, tests are included to make sure people understand everything they need to know about their new venture. Free business tools such as PowerPoint presentations, sales scripts, email templates and newsletters are provided to help.
doTERRA offers eBooks online that teach you how to use and sell essential oils and related products through independent distributors known as Wellness Advocates. These Wellness attorneys are responsible for presenting, training and selling products to the public.
doTERRA MLM Support
If you are not able to get hold of a doTERRA consultant to guide you through their business proposition, their website offers a good support platform with options of telephone, online chat and by email where your technical issues or inquiries are received and immediately resolved.
With a membership fee of $35, your relationship with doTERRA starts. To become a wholesale member, purchase one of the following registration packages:
- Home Essentials Kit ($275)
- Emotional Aromatherapy Diffusion Kit ($195)
- Family Essentials Set ($150)
- AromaTouch Diffused Kit ($150)
- Natural Solutions Kit ($550)
- Each Oil Credit Set ($1,950)
- Clean and Recovery Kit ($245)
- Diamond Set ($2,750,750)
Wellness attorneys must also choose one of these start-up kits to register as a distributor. The company also offers the opportunity to earn 10% to 30% of the purchase amount in points that can be exchanged for free doTERRA products.
My Final Opinion of doTERRA MLM
After considering customer reviews and the advantages it offers not forgetting its drawbacks, I find doTERRA MLM a legit business with adequate tools, training and support needed for a new affiliate marketer to thrive and make money.
However, I find it ideal for ladies gifted with good marketing, networking and sales skills.
If you are interested in a legitimate online business opportunity that you to start with now, take time to check out my top recommended product. You will understand how to run a full-time online business without worrying about where to get customers for your products.
doTEERA$150 – $2,750
- High customer retention
- Flexible membership
- Certified pure therapeutic products
- Assured training and support
- Investigated by FDA
- The Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade doTERRA trademark is doubted
- Investment cannot be returned within a year
- Lawsuit history